Saturday, December 5, 2009

Day in Sydney

We went with Uncle Jim to Sydney to meet Jared's Aunt Caroline, and her grand-daughter Cherish. They were all going to see Mama Mia. So we caught a ride down to Sydney! Even though it is hot here, there are some festive things up!
After we left the 3 of them to go see the show in Darling Harbour. We crossed the main bridge across Darling Harbour and there was SOMETHING going on! So me not being to shy, asked. American Express was sponsoring this event called "Realise the Potential". They had many different things set up to get people to try something new! Painting was the main thing. Anyone could participate for FREE!!! So R and I decided to try our hand at painting.

For every canvas that was painted American Express was donating money to a charity(can't remember which). They also took a digital photo of each canvas painted,and AM EX would put together a website to display the art!
In the theme of "trying something new" they had a ton of different drums set up for anyone to jump in and try playing the songs! It was so cool!
R loved the FREE face painting. She got a blue butterfly!
After we finished our artwork we recieved free vouchers for any free drink at a stand! So this is Jared and I showing off our free drinks!
We had 5 hours to ourselves, but spent over an hour on the bridge. We decided to go up to Center Point Tower. We were going to try to get there with my family, but ran out of time. It was pretty cool to see Sydney like that!
R had no problems being up so either!
Sydney Harbour bridge, from the tower!
There is a store here similar to Macy's called David Jones. At their Syndey store they had these moving displays in their front windows. Each window had a classic Christmas song playing and the display corrisponded to the music (its hard to see, but this is "I Saw Three Ships")

At the same store inside they had a "Santa's Cave" which were full of these moving displays. The line to see Santa went through the cave.

After the show was done Jim, Jared, me, and R went to "The Gap" which is the ocean's inlet to the harbour.

It was SO beautiful!
We got dinner from a famous fish and chips shop. Ate on the beach, and watch the sunset over the harbour. What a great way to finish off our trip to Sydney!

7 comments:

Christy said...

wow, that last picture is absolutely breathtaking! it all looks so fun. way to on finding those fun, free activities to do. your painting looks really good!

Laura said...

R is a budding artist! That's great that she used the paint brush, I try getting Tessa to use a paint brush, doesn't go near as well as I always hope! And I love free activities as well, they are always fun, something to do with the free part!

Lora said...

What a great day! I am so glad you are loving it there! The last photo is stunning, and I imagine it doesn't touch the real thing!

Darwin + Kiara said...

Beautiful shot of the sunset, Trace! Looks like you guys had a blast! I'm still glad we have snow for Christmas though...I don't think I could do the heat thing and think it was time to celebrate Christmas. Fun for you guys though! Love all 3 of you!

Darwin + Kiara said...

P.S. As I was showing Dar your post we were thinking how far Jared has come with his instrument playing since the gold ole days at Disneyland playing the washboard. Good times! :)

And, Dar says next time you go to Center point tower you should have Jared hold her up in front of the window so it looks like you're holding her out in front of a ledge. I told him you might get accused of child abuse...your choice :)

Darwin + Kiara said...

Love the new background, Trace!

Johnson Family said...

What fun you must be having. I enjoy sharing this experience with you. Thanks for bringing us along.