Monday, August 20, 2012

Snowbird Fun

 My little brother Mitch calls Snowbird Ski Resort his home away from home. It is only an hour drive from our house, and I had never been there. Last year I had driven past it to hike Cecret Lake (click here to read that post) with all the wild flowers. I didn't have to work on Wednesday the 15th so I called the Demings to see if they wanted to go hiking. I knew the wildflowers were in bloom and it would be beautiful. 

I called my brother and asked him a few questions about Cecret Lake. Within the conversation I found out that all the wildflowers were gone. I was pretty disappointed. He said Snowbird still had some. His wife's family was actually staying the week at Snowbird, so he told us to stop in.  We decided to go to go up for an adventure that turned out to be AMAZING! It made me feel REALLY bad that Jared was at work, and not with us. It wasn't suppose to be as cool as it turned out to be!

We rode Snowbird's tram to the top of the mountains. It took about 10 minutes and took us to 11,000 feet. It was really high!

 A little video on the tram
 My cute kids. Don't worry, there is plexiglass in front of P!
 Loving the ride!
 At the top. The hill behind us blocks the real view of how high we are!
 It was kind-of cold at the top, and I felt like a bad mom for not bringing jackets. It warmed up once we got off the very top!
 Don't mind P's hand. In 90% of the pictures with him he is doing something with his hand, the turd!
 The BEAUTIFUL flowers we found!


 Me and the kids, and yes I am holding P's arm down so he can't block his face.
 My hiking machine!




 After, we hiked down to "the tunnel" that connects Mineral Basin with Peruvian Gulch. It was a pretty cool tunnel. This is picture #3 of this. The other 2 had his dang hand up. I finally had to shake my back to make him hold onto the backpack!
 Then we rode the chairlift back down the mountain.
 I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this picture of my kids on the chairlift.
 Kiara isn't the best person when it comes to heights. So much that they almost hiked back up to the tram to ride it back down. She finally decided that she could do the chairlift.  After the chair passed the first 4 towers, she relaxed a little and enjoyed the ride. They even saw a moose in some trees!
 My kids did great on the chairlift. It was about a 20 minute ride down and I was a little worried about P getting restless.  I had pulled out the bag of pretzels and we had no problems.   I sat them next to me and we all enjoyed the ride.
All and all I had such a great day! I really felt bad that we left Jared, but in my defense we weren't planning on going to Snowbird. I would HIGHLY suggest this activity. Even so, that I wouldn't mind going again before it gets really cold with just the hubby!

3 comments:

Donna Moore said...

Looks like you all had a great adventure and the flowers are pretty !!! Maybe another thing to add to my list of things to do !!! At this rate we'll be there for a whole year !!! xxx

Lora said...

How cool- I'm so excited to try it out! Looks like you had a great day! Do you have any idea how long the flowers are in bloom up there?

Jared & Tracee said...

@Lora- Their prime was about a month ago, so I would guess not much longer!