Sunday, January 24, 2016

California? Yes Please

 Jared's schedule changes monthly. He never does the same route consistently. We knew that January 22nd and January 23rd he would be overnighting in the same hotel in Long Beach California. Not only that, but on the 23rd he had a late start, meaning he had almost all day before he worked that night! 
We fly standby, so we never know if there are going to be enough seats for us. Payton had been sick and still had a cough, so I decided the day before that we weren't going to be going to California this time. 
I really paid attention to him all the next day and realized his cough wasn't as bad as it had been. So 2 hours before the flight left I told the kids to hurry and pack, we were going to go. I put our names on the standby list, and packed as fast as I could. We jumped in the car and raced to SLC airport. We were running late and I wasn't even sure that we would make it! My mom checked us in online and we literally ran to the gate. Jared knew we were coming and told the gate agent to wait as long as possible because we were on our way! Luckily enough we made it!!!!! 

  Q is becoming the little travel expert! 
 And flying is no big deal for these two anymore!
But they still LOVE it!
 One reason I REALLY wanted to make this particular flight was we had an exceptionally handsome 1st officer pilot! He has worked for this company for over a year and I had never been on a flight he was flying. It made the flight even more special! 



Jared was the one making the announcements and every time the kids heard their dad they would both start giggling and smiling! I think it was great for them to finally be on one of his flights! He even made a shout out to them over the P.A.

The next morning after breakfast we took the hotel taxi back to the airport to rent a car so we could head out and explore.  
We first head to the Queen Mary. 
The kids thought it was so cool to see such a huge boat. 

 P loved the submarine, 
 and the torpedo! 
We didn't go inside either because of lack of time, but was pretty cool to walk around!
We then headed for a quick stop at the Newport Beach Temple.
I really liked this temple. It is almost a pink color! 

It was so nice spending the day with Jared!


and my crazy kids!

 We then headed to the beach. You can't go to California without a beach trip. 
Yes it was January, and everyone could tell we weren't from California because my kids were the only crazy ones in the water without a wetsuit on! :) If only they knew how cold it was in Utah!!!!
 P hasn't really had much experience with playing in the ocean. 
We thought he would be a little hesitant, but boy were we wrong! 
He was CRAZY!!!!

 The kids LOVED it!
Q loved sitting on the beach watching the waves! 
I think she is related to my mom! :)
Then we changed, and grabbed a doughnut before heading out onto a long pier!



 This is actually a pretty funny story. R was done with her doughnut and decided to throw the last little piece off the pier! Next thing we know EVERY seagull is flying overhead trying to find more! They must know that up on the pier is where food comes from! It was funny!

 Then we headed back to the hotel for a quick swim! 
Q was super excited, and looked extremely cute in her suit!
 Again, we were the only crazy Utahans who considered the weather warm enough for a swim! The kids loved that they had the whole pool to themselves! 


 Finally it was time for Jared to actually go to work, and he left while the older 2 kids finished swimming and Q fell asleep poolside! 
 We then went and grabbed dinner, and came back to the hotel for a picnic! 
 We decided to try to race to the beach to watch the sunset!
 We barely missed it, but it was still pretty!
 Back in the hotel room, P could not get enough of the phone! 
I guess my kids aren't use to "old school" phones!
Jared came back and captured this picture of the kiddos sleeping!
 We woke up early and the kids and I returned the rental car and boarded the airplane to come back home. I was pretty disappointed to see this out the airplane windows when we landed!
 Then had to clear that much snow off my car!
It was seriously such a spontaneous trip, but we had SO much fun! We got to do so much with Jared even though he was "at work"! Those kind of trips don't happen very often, so I was glad we didn't let a little cough stop us! 
We had such a great time and soaked in some much needed
 "Vitamin Sea"!!!!!

No comments: