Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Spring Fever To Early?

So I know that I have SPRING FEVER!!! Last week I was watching the weather and saw how nice it was going to be on Saturday, especially down south! Hello in the mid 60!!:) So when Saturday came around Jared had to work in the morning so we couldn't take off too early, but I decided I wanted to go hiking. And since it was going to be so nice the further south, why not BRYCE CANYON! Jared had only been there once when he was little. So at noon Saturday we took off. I had been looking on-line at how long it would take to drive different places, and I guess I had the distance to another place in my head, because I was only expecting to have to drive for 2 1/2 hours. Funny me........oops Bryce Canyon from Springville takes going the speed limit 3 1/2 hours. Luckily I speed and it only took 3, but still. AHHHHH LONG DRIVE!! So that was surprise 1.


Surprise #2 As we got closer the temperature gage in our car for the outside air kept dropping instead of increasing. We drove into the park and went to this first lookout point, and noticed this sign. Jared being the pilot and having to know the elevation of Provo, noticed that it was funny that Bryce Canyon is almost double what we are at Provo in elevation. Therefore colder air, and SNOW!!!!! There were huge snow drifts bigger than me! We came down 3 hours for warm weather and we get snow!
Because of my great thinking that we were going where it was warmer we packed NO coats. Luckily R was in a long sleeved shirt, and I had brought a hoodie. She thought it was funny that she had a pocket that her hands could touch. I just thought this was a cute picture.The first lookout point had a trail, but was too covered in snow. So I was bummed that we weren't even going to be able to go hiking. What a great idea, huh! Luckily we went to another lookout point, and the trail that goes down, was a lot more manageable. So we got our hiking backpack, and headed down. Yeah, at least we were able to hike even if it was only 40 degrees!


Here is a science thought. When it snows, and melts, the dirt it falls on become MUD. Because the upper part of the trail was exposed to the sun, the trail became this MUD trail. This is funny because my hiking shoes are meant for both trail, and water. Therefore there are slits in the side of my shoes which was great for the mud to come in! FUNNY!

Overall it turned out to be a great quick get-away. We got back that night at about 9 pm. Reagan did get a little fussy, but I think she did great for all the surprises we encountered! Navajo loop, was the trail we went on. It is a great hike for families, I think. Only 1.3 miles round trip. Not to bad in mud, and snow even!






7 comments:

Christy said...

ha ha. great story tracee. i love that you guys just decided to randomly go to bryce. awesome! and your pictures are so pretty. also, you guys should come to texas-- it's already in the 70s everyday! i've realized that i am very much a summer girl. i love it!

Johnson Family said...

It sure looks like you have a great time. It sounds like fun, even if it wasn't quite as warm as you would have liked.

The pictures look great!!

Rebecca and Nick said...

Wow, that's impressive for a one day tripper! At least you had fun. If you really wanted warm weather, you should have drove an extra 3-4 hours to come hang out with us in Vegas! It's been 65-70 degrees all week! PERFECT! (sorry, I'm not bragging)

Darwin + Kiara said...

You guys crack me up. Sorry to be the party-poopers and miss out on the fun trip to Bryce...next time for sure!! :)

Christy said...

hey trace- you can go private by going to permissions on your blogger account and then you have option to have anyone be able to read your blog, or you can put in the email addresses of those you want to have access. then, those people will get an invite from you and have to click on a link and put in their email and create a password (unless they already use blogger, then they'll just put in the password they already have). when those people want to look at your blog, they will always have to be signed in. it's good because then you don't have to worry about who's looking, but bad because you do have to sign in every time and people can't see when you've updated (in the blog roll on the side of your blog). you just have to keep checking to see when someone updates. so it's kind of annoying, but worth it if you're worried. and if you're not, then there's no reason to do it. let me know if you have any other questions!

Lora said...

Trace those pics are hilarious, sorry about the muddy-goodness and the cold weather, but how fun still...the photos are great! what would life be with out a good story here and there?

Michelle said...

What a fun day trip! I am looking forward to warmer weather so we can be outside a bit more. I am sure this will be a day you will always remember:)