Monday, August 30, 2010

A Little Nervous

I have been debating on posting this or not, but I thought I would throw my concerns out there. As my countdown is SLOWLY but surly coming down, I have been thinking about the decision of having another C-Section or a VBAC(Vaginal Birth After Cesarean). I have read SOOOOO much on discussion boards about how it is a personal decision, which I TOTALLY understand.

For some reason I am terrified of having a VBAC. I don't know if its because it is the unknown for me, and the unknown is always scary. Scared of a uterine rupture, or what. My C-Section was no big deal with R. I recovered pretty easily. The Dr. say I am a "good candidate for a VBAC" because R was breached and not an "emergency".

I was just wondering if this situation applies to any of you, or your family and what they ended up doing. It would be nice to know the person who is saying their opinion about it. I still know its TOTALLY up to me. I did read one comment that helped a little. The lady had said the same concerns as me and said "I ended up realizing that if I go into labor being afraid of something going wrong, it would be a whole lot more stressful". Anyways, I would love to hear your comments.

9 comments:

Christy said...

i don't know anyone who has had a VBAC. my sister in law did just have a c-section, and i believe is planning on having all her babies c-section from now on. it sounds pretty cush to me to just go in for a scheduled surgery and come back with a baby-- but you gotta do what is best for you and what you feel good about. i've heard the recovery is a lot easier with vaginal, but obviously i don't know personally. good luck with your decision! i'm sure you'll make the right one.

Laura said...

I have lots of thoughts on this!!! I don't know if you want them all, but I will go ahead and share :)

Tes was a C-section, because nothing was going on, I mean, I only dialated to a 2 maybe 2 1/2 in 12 hours! So it wasn't an emergency C. I have always fealt a little cheated that I didn't get the "instant bond" with her; her being popped out and laid on my tummy and me being the first to hold her. I am still a little sad and probably always will be that I didn't get that moment with my baby. I mean, I was so drugged up I barely remember them holding her over the sheet for me to see, and then Kirk brought her over for a minute, and next thing I know I am in my room and they are wheeling her in, who knows how much time had passed.

It was different with #2. It was all scheduled and stuff. So, I was much more aware of what was going on and seeing the baby after she was born. But I was also aware of the time passing that I had to wait to go see her too. After getting stitched up and back to recovery, you still have to wait more to go to the room and have her brought in. And I still had/have that feeling of being a little let down that I didn't have the overwelminng emotinal experiance of going through birth and the bonding moment. This C got scheduled because my body wasn't prepping for a baby, no thinning and no dialation no nothing, so we went the C section route again.

Now, perhaps I am glamorizing in my mind the "experiance" (because that is what I see on baby story, haha) but I am always going to feel like I missed out on a special moment (although I am sure intensely painful) in motherhood and with my precious newborn baby. I try to make myself feel better by reminding me that it isn't my fault that I missed it because it was just bioligically my body that didn't do anything, and there wasn't anything I could have done differently to change it.

But if I could have had the oppertunity to have gone through the labor to be able to be the first on to hold my little girls, I totally would have, I get teary-eyed just thinking about it, maybe I am too sentimental, but it's the memories we take with us, and I would have liked to have had this memory.

So thats how I feel. Good luck in a decision.

Darwin + Kiara said...

Definitely a tuffy. I obviously don't know cuz I haven't had any kids yet ;) But soon enough, right? Yay!

Shannon had a C with both Hannah & Liam, but Hannah was emergency because her heart rate dropped so quickly. And Liam was 3 weeks early. I think she had to have a C with Liam after having Hannah that way though.

Sorry I'm not very helpful. Pray about it though. It's always a good way to make sure you're making the right decision. I'm glad I'm not in your shoes!

The Jorgensens said...

I have seen SO many women do V-BACs without an problems. It's totally a personal decision but in asking questions about it a lot of OBs here at the hospital encourage it if the previous CS wasn't for emergency reasons and there isn't a huge chance of a uterine rupture at all. I haven't had kids but it seems like the recovery is easier and a more intimate birth for mom an baby if it's vaginal, but some moms prefer just scheduling it and not having to worry but it's up to you :) that's just what I've heard from talking to the doctors and nurses at work :)

Aja said...

I am with Laura on this one. Since I can't have them naturally. I really wish that I could have had the whole experience. Even though the ease of having a scheduled C-section. But you take what life gives ya! And it really is your decicision. Lots of love!

Sydney, Cali & Brynne said...

How on earth do you get your three year old to look at the camera and SMILE for pictures?!!! It's amazing! Hope you guys are all doing well! Good luck with your decision-making as far as the delivery goes. Don't have much to offer in this arena as fas as advice goes. Take Care!

Lora said...

what a big decision!
i naturally have no experience in physical arena birthing (oh the joy of adoption) =)

BUT I do have a really close friend who's very strong opinion I'll share with you!
-She had her first baby c section with really no complications. It was a last minute options,and they chose c-section. With her 2nd she really wanted to have a vbac so that she would more likely than not have the choice on her 3rd but her dr. in Las Vegas didn't deal with vbac patients. Instead of searching for a new Dr she had her second and now her 3rd both via c's. She has expressed to me several times how much she wished she would have been more firm in her desire to have a vabc with her 2nd. Her recovery with each c section has gotten more and more difficult and the dr. said because of her built up scar tissue this would probably be her last baby. I'm know every situation is a little different but that is her story and I hope it helps you weigh options.

I just know you'll make the right decision for you and your baby! We are all pulling for you! Good luck!! xo

Darwin + Kiara said...

As of today, U.S. time, you are exactly 30 weeks! Only 10 more to go, T! You can do it!! Which means, I'm half way through & have 20 weeks to go. Woot! Woot!

Johnson Family said...

I wish I had some experience and then I could offer an opinion, but since I don't, I'm sorry. Good luck trying to figure it all out though.

Pregnancy sure does give us lots of things to worry about.