Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Jaunt Up A Mountain

 I love taking every chance I can to hike! This time was still nice, but not how I remembered it!!!  We went to one of my favorite places I would runaway to when I was in High School. I always called it the Red Rocks up Diamond Fork Canyon. Comes to find out it has an official name Red Ledges Picnic Area. It had been YEARS since I had been there, and found a Saturday to get back there. Jared, the kids and I met Mike(brother-in-law), and his 2 kids to explore. One reason I love this place so much is because it isn't just a trail you follow, you have to get a little dirty.  Climbing on rocks, sliding on your bum. All sorts of fun. Well, going back after so many years , plus kids it just didn't have it same appeal!

Check out how steep. GREAT FUN!!!
 Along the path
 If you look REALLY closely you can see our cars in the parking lot behind P. That is how high up we were!

 I do have to say that I have one handsome little man!!!!
 The "kids"
 A family picture before the climb back down!
 A little cave we found!
 We crossed the road and decided to take the time to throw a few rocks.
 P could have done this all day!
 He was in his element! He was so excited that we were OK with him actually throwing things!!
 Jared even got in on the action! :)
I kind-of felt bad for 2 reasons.
Reason #1- We had told Mike that we were going for a hike (not telling him the extent of the actual hike)and
Reason #2 - I found myself wanting to come back alone or with just Jared. Having kids really made me miss the reason I love the area so much. No sitting on the huge boulders at the top in silence, no making my own trails, and no spending all day there. The things that did make me smile was that I was able to share a favorite place with my kids. Watching and teaching R how to hike on this type of trail, and just being able to be there again!!!!

No comments: