****SUPER LONG POST****
It was Saturday July 25th. We started the morning off by helping Grandma paint the stage for the Springville World Folkfest which started Monday the 27th!
and yes I painted a little!
To be honest, I don't remember what we did in-between that and "the walk".
My family LOVES taking evening barefoot walks around the block. It is our way of getting ready for bed. Jared and I were slowly walking around while the kids ran ahead. I was having Braxton Hicks, and would need to stop every once in awhile. Some actually kind-of hurt. We came in and I sat on the couch. I then went to stand up and couldn't without a sharp pain on my past c-section scar. I thought it was nothing, but it actually brought me to tears. My mom insisted that Jared take me to the hospital to just make sure that everything was ok. I agreed because it hurt. We jumped in the car with no "hospital bag", camera, or anything. We were planning on just being checked out, and sent home. It was 4 weeks before my due date anyway!
In the car I was paying more attention to my Braxton Hicks, and realized that they were pretty consistent with being contractions. Jared wheeled me up to Labor and Delivery to be checked out. I explained to the nurse (who actually went to high school with Jared and I) what I was feeling. She hooked me up to the machine, and the Braxton Hicks weren't actually Braxton Hicks, but real contractions. You'd think by baby number 3 I wouldn't be so naive. She also said something that really hit me hard. She said, "there is a good chance that you will have a baby in less than an hour, I'm going to call your doctor". What?!?! The baby was going to come tonight?!?! We were SO unprepared! I did feel good that I had bought our first box of diapers and wipes the week before. At least we had those! :)
Dr. Nance came in and because of my scary delivery with P and my close call of a uterine tear, he told me I had said the magic words and he was going to prep for surgery tonight! My mind went blank. It seemed unreal. I had told people(out of positive thinking) that she would come early, but not 4 weeks early! The anesthesiologist came in and I had no time to freak out. The ball was rolling, and before I knew it, I was already to be prepped for surgery!
I had plans for this c-section. I was going to be ready for it. It was going to be a "normal"/planned one with me being showered, toes painted, make-up on, and beautiful for pictures. None of that happened. We didn't even have a real camera. Thank goodness Jared's phone takes decent pictures!
This was also the only c-section that I was actually awake the whole time. With R, I was having air up in my chest cavity causing pain and so as soon as R came out, they gave me medicine that knocked me out. Then with P, they quickly knocked me out before he came out! So this experience was a little different! I was shaking SO badly. I think it was the epidural, but I couldn't control it. When I was finally in the O.R. they have this amazing thing that they put on my arms and it was like a warm blow drier warming me up! It helped, a little. Next thing I know I'm feeling pressure and tugging, but nothing painful. Jared was all dressed up holding my hand while peeking over the blue sheet. I loved watching his facial expressions change. He would update me on how close the baby was to being pulled out! Then at ******* Baby Girl McSweeney was born. I heard her scream, then got a quick look at her before they whisked her away to the NICU. Jared stayed with her, and I was left for the sewing up part. I dozed in and out during this part until they were done.
I don't care too much for the just born pictures from a c-section. The white stuff all over their body isn't attractive! :) Jared stayed with Baby Girl McSweeney and captured this and a few other pictures for me!!
After I was all sewn up, they wheeled me through the NICU to actually see my baby!
This was the first time meet my little lady!
Poor thing! But I knew I needed to recover, and she was getting the best help possible! She could get enough oxygen, but couldn't keep the pressure in her lungs so she was put on a a c-pap!
The next day I really wanted to visit her. Jared wheeled me up and I was actually able to hold her. There were SO many tubes, and wires that it was a show just to see the nurses try to hand me my baby!
I was coming off the Morphine and was feeling not right. I was sweating like crazy then almost threw up on my new baby. At that point the nurses decided that was enough, and put her back! :)
I do not like the feeling of coming off of Morphine. It was CRAP!!! I felt horrible, and was super emotional. Day 1(Sunday, still Baby Girl McSweeney) was NOT a good day for me!
Day 2(Monday, still Baby Girl McSweeney) my beautiful children were able to meet their brand new sister!
and Jared was able to hold her!
Proud parents!
Their NICU wrist bands say "Big Sister" and "Big Brother"
Before having the baby P had become VERY protective of me. I couldn't even walk into a different room without him staying by my side turning lights on and off for me. When they came to visit he did NOT want to leave me. He was crying a lot, and it made me sad.
I would pump in my room and then slowly make my way up to the NICU to nurse as well!
Day 3(Tuesday getting closer on a name, but still Baby Girl McSweeney) I was released, and SUPER emotional about not bringing her home with us. Tuesday was the opening night of the Springville World Folkfest. I thought it would be the greatest distraction for me! I waddled in (still trying to get my pain meds right) and made it just in time for the 2nd half! It worked! I needed it!
Days 4 and 5(Wednesday/Thursday I made Jared sit in the NICU with me and her until we came up with a name. We liked Morgan, Clair, and Quinn. We took a poll from the NICU nurses and Morgan was taken off the list. We asked the kids, but each kid liked different names. So we finally asked our friends. The Hjorths texted back with Quinn as their favorite, and we hadn't heard from the Demings, so Quinn won!!!!) these days consisted of me "living at the hospital". I was still on strong meds, so my mom would drop me off on her way into work. Then she or Jared would pick me up in the evening. Luckily they had a sleep room that I could use during the day in between feeds. I was trying to be there as much as possible to try to get her home faster!
We had to wear these bracelets when coming in the NICU.
This is where she lived for the 1st week of her life!
This is what my view from the rocking chair looked like!
She was so small, but for a NICU premature baby she was HUGE!!!
Day 6(Friday) We were told we were going to be bringing her home. I was ELATED! No more going back and forth between the hospital and home. I could be with ALL my kids at the same time. Me going away to the hospital all the time was taking its toll on P. We could be a family! Jared and I got to the hospital with diaper bag packed ready to go. We then were told that we would NOT be taking her home today. My heart felt like it had been ripped out! I tried to hold it together, but couldn't! I cried, and cried. That was the hardest part of the hospital stay! I just kept trying to remind myself that she's here, she's healthy, and these doctors just want what's best for her and so do I.
I contemplated on what to do. I decided to take advantage of not having her home and spend some quality time with my girl at the Folkfest. I went home and decided that wasn't the best thing to do. I called the NICU and asked if I could stay the night and feed her myself throughout the night. They said I could, and I packed my bags and headed back to the hospital. It was a lonely sleepless night, but I knew that my baby needed me. Waking up every 3 hours to feed and pump was grueling.
In the morning the phone rang in my room and it was the NICU doctor. She said that she thought Q was ok to go home today. I tried not to get my hopes up, but I was so excited. I called Jared and told him to race over so we could do all the things to get her checked out of the hospital! It happened, she was finally able to leave the hospital!
Sporting her Aussie socks just like her big sister did!
They almost didn't allow her to go home in this carseat because she was too small for it! Weight wise she was fine, but she just didn't fit! They ended up rolling burp rags and putting it under each side of her body to lift her closer to seatbelt! I should have taken a picture, but there was so much to do!
My baby girl ready to go!
Getting in the car...
...and heading home!
I know we were only in the NICU for 1 week, but I wish it upon NO ONE! I couldn't be more grateful for the care she got there, but it was rough on a new mom! I had reality checks throughout my stay, of moms whose baby had been in there for multiple weeks with MAJOR health problems! My heart really went out to them! I am also SO grateful for some of the nurses who really helped me. There were a few who could tell I was struggling, and knew just what to say or what to do that made my time there less painful! I will forever be indebted to them.
Like with my other kids I don't like to use their full names on my blog, but I alway say it once. Our baby girl is named Quinn Marie McSweeney! Why I liked this name is because it ends in an "N" like her siblings and has a double letter at the end like me!
Funny side note, the night we brought her home I fed Q and RACED down to the Folkfest with my hubby and 2 kids while Q stayed home and slept with Grandma! So I was actually able to see the whole show once! :) I'm a die hard, what can I say!
1 comment:
She is so beautiful! I loved reading this story and can't believe when I saw you that night you had been through all of that! My goodness! Congratulations again on such an amazing baby and the new addition to your family! xo
Post a Comment