Friday, January 23, 2009

"New Leader in Command" Thoughts

On Tuesday my boss took the day off to watch the Inauguration with her kids. It was nice for me because I didn't have to work and was able to watch the events unfold. This is the first Inauguration I was able to watch live. I thought it was a very interesting event, full of traditions. I even teared up at points because I thought it was a very emotional day. Some of my thoughts were:

#1 I didn't vote for him, but I am VERY excited to see what changes I see in this country. I have very high hopes for him. It also makes me wish that I would have had the time to listen and understand the different party's opinions more. I enjoyed seeing Pres. Bush, and Pres. Obama interacting.#2 I couldn't believe the turn out! I totally wished I was there, even in the freezing cold!

#3 I loved this picture. It was taken just before he came out to accept the position as President. I think it shows a different side of any President.
#4 I love that he has young kids. I think it makes him more relatable to me. The reporters kept saying things like "they will be having sleepovers at the white house, and teaching their soon to be new dog". It just makes him more real to me. Michelle Obama also said in an interview, that she had a talk with the White House staff, explaining that the girls WILL have chores like making their own beds!
#5 A lot of the reporters kept commenting on how much personal affection he has with his wife in public, and if it was a good or bad thing. I can see NO problems in it. To me I think that through this whole life changing experience that he was a husband first, then President. I really enjoy watching him interacting with her!
I am very excited, and feel very blessed that I was able to take part in such a historical event (even if was from my own home)! It makes me want to learn more about our President, both present and past. And understand how being "Republican" or "Democrat" as President can change our country. I hope everyone was able to at least see "the best of" from the Inaguration. If you haven't I would highly suggest it!

1 comment:

Darwin + Kiara said...

Thanks for sharing that, Trace. I was bummed we didn't get to watch it because Dar's internet at school was spazzing out. :( I totally agree that I love seeing how Pres. Obama interacts with his wife in public. I think that's one of the most important things our country needs right now with the disintegration of the family. I think he and Michelle are wonderful examples so far!! I also look forward to seeing what the next 4 years have in store for our country. Yay Obama!!