Monday, January 26, 2009

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY!

What kind of wife would I be, if I didn't blog about Australia Day? So to all reading HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY! Today January 26th is officially Australia Day. I've put together a little quiz about Australia here goes, and good luck!

1. Of course... What is Australia's capital?

2.How many countries are larger than Australia?

3.How much of Australia is classified as desert? A)8% B)16% C)25% D)35%

4.What Australian company is the largest surfwear manufacturer?

5. How many states are in Australia?

*Now before the answers, here are a few highlights from Australian timeline!

Before 1770 - Aboriginal peoples had been living for more than 40 000 years on the continent we now know as Australia. At least 1600 generations of these peoples had lived and died here.

1770 - Captain James Cook raised the Union Jack on what is now called Possession Island on 22 August to claim the eastern half of the continent as New South Wales for Great Britain.

This flag is called the Union Jack

1804 - Early almanacs and calendars and the Sydney Gazette began referring to 26 January as First Landing Day or Foundation Day. In Sydney, celebratory drinking, and later anniversary dinners became customary, especially among emancipators.

1954 - The Australian blue ensign was designated the Australian national flag and given precedence over the Union Jack. The Australian red ensign was retained as the commercial shipping ensign.

1984 - Australians ceased to be British subjects. Advance Australia Fair replaced God Save the Queen as the national anthem.

1994 - Celebrating Australia Day on 26 January became established. The Australian of the Year Award presentations began alternating between Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne and Brisbane.

***Now the Answers!!!

1. Most Americans think its Sydney, but NO its Canberra

2. Five (Australia is the 6th largest country: Russia, Canada, China, USA, and Brazil)

3. D) 35%

4. Quicksilver

5. Six states :Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, West Australia, and Tasmania. There are also 3 mainland territories.

Hope this fulfilled your Australia needs for another year! Have a good one, and:

AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE, OI, OI, OI


4 comments:

Lora said...

Wow I really am terrible at australian history, I got all of those questions wrong! Mike's mom grew up in Australia, we would love to visit! Very cool post

Rebecca and Nick said...

I just realized I hardly know anything about Australia. Thanks for sharing! We got to go there for our honeymoon, and just loved it. Maybe someday we'll make it back.

Darwin + Kiara said...

Thanks for sharing that Trace! We hang out with you guys ALL the time, and why do we know so little about Australia? Apparently you guys need to start giving us more Aussie trivia like Dar gives you guys Earth Science trivia :)

Thanks again sooo much for the yummy Aussie treats too! I'm still bummed we couldn't come celebrate with our favorite Aussie family again this year...but next year, for sure!!

Darwin + Kiara said...

Tagged you! Check out our blog.