Monday, January 11, 2010

Jenolan Caves

We started our journey by stoping at the Sydney Olympic Park! I hadn't ever been there, and it was fun to see all the Olympic things that are still there!
We then drove through the Blue Mountains, and over the Great Dividing Range to Jenolan Caves! this beautiful place is similar to Timp. Cave, but with many more options! The top 2 pictures are of the cave that the road goes through, and many of the cave tours start from! If you look closely at the top right, you can see Jared, and R! That shows how BIG this cave was!! The bottom left is the lodging that we stayed at! It was gorgeous! All the drinking water through out this place come from the cave! The bottom right is the bridge crossing the river that comes from the caves, where we saw 3 platypus(very rare!)

Our hike that we did! One of 10 I think(that you have to pay for)! The bottom right is down in a cave seeing the cave river!
Just some of the cave features!
This one is pretty cool! The left side one is over 5 feet tall made by the picture on the right. You can actually see the water droplet on the one that made it. This picture is zoomed in, the stalagtite is only an inch long! Crazy!!!
We had to hunch over to get through some of the path, so R thought she needed to as well(picture on the left). R was a little scared at first, but by the end loved it(right)!!
We stayed at the lodge, and then the next day did a self guided tour. No picture could do this cave justice. It was HUGE(on the right) you can see the path down below! We are really high up!
There were HUNDREDS of stairs. I really liked the picture on the left because it shows 3 stages of how the path has progressed! The picture on the right show the MANY stairs coming down from the self guided tour. And to brag, R came down ALL those stairs BY HERSELF(holding my hand, but still)!!!
It is about a 2 1/2 hour out of Sydney! In between Jenolan Caves, and Sydney is the Blue Mountains, where there is a famous look-out point!
The point that we were at, was to see the famous "Three Sisters"!
It was a nice quick get away! Good to see parts of New South Wales(the state where we live) that don't have to deal with the beach or Sydney!
Just a quick note! If you follow my blog you can remember when we went crab hunting, and only found like 3! We went for a walk at the same place yesterday and saw over 50! It was so cool! I guess we went at the wrong time last time! Sorry no pictures, I forgot my camera!

4 comments:

Lora said...

What an amazing adventure! I love hiking through caves! It's amazing to me that so much is happening inside mountains. What great hikes!

ps-jealous of the weather =)

Aja said...

Wow! That looks like a fun place to explore! That's some place that looks like we would like to explore!

Darwin + Kiara said...

The way you started your post totally made me think of "Elf". I hiked through the candy-cane forest, through the twirly-swirly gumdrops...:) I don't remember exactly how he tells it, but that's what it made me think of. Maybe it was the Blue Mountains, not sure.

Very cool. You'll for sure have to take us there when we come! And, you look very tan, by the way. So jealous! :)

Laura said...

I found my blog design or whatever it is called at http://www.template-mama-freebloggertemplates.blogspot.com/
but I went to her site just now and it is down for maintenance. But she has a whole list of other sites that offer blog layouts. My santa thing was an entire blog design also, not just a header. I really have no clue what I am doing when it comes to changing all this stuff out!! :)