Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Kookaburra sits in an old gum tree....
Ok for those of you who don't know a Kookaburra is a famous bird here in Australia. There are many songs which refer to this bird (hence my title for this post). Well Jared and I were coming back from outside of Sydney. Jared driving with his window only 4-5 inches down and me reclined in my seat trying to sleep with my whole window open. When we were almost home I was awoke to a "THUD". I quickly opened my eyes to see feathers coming from Jared's window(which was only open a tiny bit) and going out my window. I asked Jared what did we hit(know that it had to be a bird). He said "I didn't see anything". R was asleep in the back, so I looked back to see if the thud had woke her up, and there was a dying bird in between her legs.. AHHHHHHHHHHH she was still asleep, so I tried to stay calm, and said "Jared pull over, pull over, pull over NOW" but there wasn't any place to pull over and R started to wake up, and I knew she would freak out to see this dying bird (whose beak was still opening, and closing...YUCK). So me being the Mom of the Year (who didnt want to touch this dying/dead bird) used R's leg(yes I know) to kick it off before she totally woke up. So we just hurried home(which was only a few minutes away). When we got home, Jared sat the seat forward and this is what he saw. It was upside against our garbage bag. And YES those are R's underwear, and skirt(she had a pull-up on since she was sleeping)
When Jared moved the bag, he said "its a freaking baby Kookaburra" My first up close encounter with this famous bird, and its dead in our car!!!
This is R showing the dead bird IN OUR CAR!!!! EWWWE!!!! NASTY!!!!
Jared decided to just use the clothes that it was dead on to pick it up, and move it to a little parkland near the house. I really don't know why he is smiling, because it was so gross!!!
It was just funny that it made it through Jared's window which was only 4-5 inches down, and landed in between my babies legs. So just to redeem myself. R was automaticly put in the bath, and her clothes and her carseat cover has been washed, and cleaned!! Anyways, I hope this makes you laugh as hard as us!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
ok that was so funny! i love R's expression in the photo! that's like a bad Jeff Foxworthy joke "you know your in Australia when..." =)
ack! Oh my heck, I did laugh out loud. What great adventures you are having!
Wow that is crazy, I showed everyone at work and they all laughed and Katty was freaking out!!! How the heck!!!
AAH! that is so funny. one of those moments that you don't believe could happen until it does. i am jealous of all your fun adventures!
Wow, what luck, or unluck I suppose! Too funny! Thanks for sharing a great laugh with us!
That is sooooo Funny!!! Love it!!! No other person in the whole united states could ever have a story like that!!! I'm so glad you got pictures!!
Oh man! Totally made us bust up! The picture of R showing the bird didn't show up. Dar says it's almost as funny as when he was on his mission and a bird flew around a corner and hit his companion in the mouth and his companion was like, "That bird just tried to kiss me!" Silly birds. I'm glad we finally found a second to read your story. Love you guys!
Hi Tracee. This is Sara Sorensen (Po'uha) from way back in the old neighborhood. I was surfing around blogs and came across yours. Thats so neat that you are in Australia. My husband and I are thinking of moving to Tonga so not to far from there. So I hope to have the chance to visit Australia. Anyways just wanted to say hello.
Sara
http://thepouhas.blogspot.com
We met just through some mutual friends and are in Salt Lake area. Things are good. I am a counselor at a Middle school but we might make the adventure and go teach school at Liahona in Tonga. It's exciting and scary all at the same time. So how do you like Australia?
Post a Comment