Monday, January 4, 2010

New Years Fun

New Years Eve was SO amazing! We were able to go to Sydney Harbour(yes that is how you spell it here). It was raining all morning, but we found a spot opposite side of the harbor from the Opera House. We got there about 2pm and it was hard to find a good spot! It reminded me a lot of how people camp out for the 4th of July parade in Provo. There were tents, tarps, and blankets EVERYWHERE!!! Because we had so much time til the fireworks this is how we spent the time! We put our blanket down, and rode a ferry to Circular Quay(pronounced "key"-the opera house side) and got some dinner at McDonalds. It was only 4 or 5 pm and it was already starting to get a little crazy. Glad we weren't over there! So we spent our time blowing bubbles, playing May I(family card game), and just enjoying the beauty EVERYWHERE!!!
These are some pictures of the spot we stayed to watch. The top left is from the ferry looking at our spot! The harbour picture is what we could see from our spot! And it shows how many people there were! The cool thing about this spot(which we didn't know when picking the area) is that is was an alcohol free zone! There were police constantly walking back and forth patrolling with loads of alcohol that was taken! There we also many port-a-potties near by. It was a great spot! Even thought there were so many people it was nice that I never felt uncomfortable there!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! This was actually at 9. They do 2 shows in Sydney one at 9 for kids, and midnight for everyone else! It was nice because R did fall asleep before midnight, but was still able to see fireworks!

I didn't have a tripod, so my firework shots SUCKED so here a few that I found on line! The Opera House is at the bottom left.
The Sydney Harbour is very long going east to west. So this is a good picture showing how they have the same fireworks all the way down the harbour (at 4 different spots) so you can see them no matter where you are. This also show how they had fireworks on the top of the sky scrappers as well as the bridge! The white arrow show about where we were sitting!

Beautiful bridge fireworks! It was voted worlds best firework show! I sure hope that it is because they spent over 6 million dollars on the fireworks!! Crazy,but you could see the differents!
Video of the fireworks! Remeber this is done with an old digital camera(with video settings) so it doesn't do it justice!

The next evening(18 hours later) we were even able to spend some New Years Eve time with friends back in Utah, thanks to Skype!! This picture was taken through Skype that is why it isn't the best! Thanks for letting us be a part of your New Years party!


I am excited for this new year and all the many possibilities that it holds. I am hopeful that it will be a good year! Happy New Years to you all!!!

3 comments:

Lora said...

I watched your celebration on tv and wondered if you were there! It sounds like a blast! Your photos are great! isn't technology wonderful? My sister lives in the middle east but we get to see her/talk to her all the time and the best for free!
Happy 2010 you guys! I know this year will be great for you!

Darwin + Kiara said...

The heart fireworks are cool. And your video turned out fine! Thanks for posting the pictures! Wish we could have all been together...maybe next year, right? ;) Love you guys!

Michelle said...

What a great show! It looks like you are having a fun time in Australia. I hope you have a great 2010!