Emma(Jared's sister) and Ethan decided they wanted to take a quick trip down to Moab. They invited the whole family, but only Diane(Jared's mom), Alex(Jared's cousin), and our family could make it with them. It actually was pretty nice going with only a small group of us.
We drove down Thursday April 4th, Jared's birthday! We got down to Moab and checked in just in time for dinner. We all went out and enjoyed a great dinner together. Then came back for presents and a some cake for the birthday boy. Then headed to bed for an early start in the morning.
Last time Emma and Ethan went to Arches they made it to the parking lot for Delicate Arch and couldn't find a parking space anywhere. So our plan was to start early and hit that hike first!
My kids are SO cute together!
I'm not sure what happened to this picture, but its still cute. Along the trail are these stacked rocks called cairns. They mark the path when no path is visible. My kids LOVED finding these.
It was a VERY proud mommy moment when both my kids made it to Delicate Arch all by themselves. We brought the hiking backpack just in case, but didn't use it! It made me so happy! One thing I don't want to forget was how R made it up the trail. She would say "step, step, twist and turn" while shaking her bum on the twist and turn part. I joined in, and she thought that it was so funny!
My tough little dude! At age 2, hiked 3 miles (with only being carried a little on the way down) elevation gain of 480 feet / 146 meters; no shade. Open slick rock with some exposure to heights. No complaints from R, she did amazing too!
I love my little family, and I love Delicate Arch so this is a special place for me.
I could sit at Delicate Arch all day and just take in the beauty and serenity there.
Except for this day. I was actually REALLY disappointed because it was SOOOOO windy! Not even a little annoying wind, it was hold on to everything or it WILL blow away windy. Everyone was being pelted by sand, and everyone just wanted to get back to the car fast. It was the furthest thing from serene. I felt cheated!
The kids hiding from the wind behind these rocks for a quick snack! Even with the wind shield it was still windy. Ugg!!!
On the way down.
Then we headed for other arches.
This is Jared's version of the Lion King-Its A Circle Of Life!
Alex, Emma, Ethan R (back row)
Diane, Jared and P (front row)
Sand Dune Arch. It was a short hike, and like a big sand pit for the kids. The arch is surrounded by walls of rock so the wind wasn't too bad here!
Jared on the top of the arch with R on the rocks underneath him!
R and Ethan took time for a little rest!
Then we headed to Landscape Arch. The parking here was as bad as Emma and Ethan has said Delicate Arch was for them. It was HORRIBLE!!!! So while Ethan and Jared went to find a parking spot I captured this cute little picture. These two are such good friends, I love it!
Along the way P got VERY grumpy and I ended up carrying him. He fell asleep so I made it to Landscape Arch and found a semi-shady spot and sat and waited for everyone else to come back.
Then we headed back to the hotel and enjoyed having the pool and hot tub to return to. We were all pretty exhausted and glad that we didn't have to drive home after hiking all day!
The next morning we checked out of the hotel and headed to Dead Horse Point State Park. This is one of our new favorite places to take visitors who want to see the Grand Canyon. It looks like the Grand Canyon without the drive all the way out there! Its GREAT!
Jared, P and Alex
This is my child, and I'm proud of it. Climbing a big rock in flip flops!
Making it to the top, and she didn't even need help getting down!
When we were in Arches R was really impressed with the petroglyphs that we saw. So at the visitors center I found this cute fake one and needed to take a picture with it!
It really is beautiful there!
Emma and Ethan
and Jared and I
It was a quick trip, but I love it down there. Jared says he is done with Arches, but would like to explore more of what Moab has to offer. I can see us exploring more down there, but still hitting Delicate Arch because it is one of my favorite places!!!
1 comment:
very fun! i heart southern utah in a big way. i went to arches for the first time with the good old sommerfeldt family. fun memories. :)
it looks like you all had a great time! you guys seem to always be doing something fun!
Post a Comment