Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A First

I really try to keep my posts in chronological order, 
but just realized that this had happened BEFORE Christmas. 

 On December 20th, R and I both did something for the first time. We went skiing! Most people I have spoken with throughout my life couldn't believe that I grew up in Utah with the "greatest snow on earth" and had never been skiing. Growing up my family would sled, tube, and the occasional snowmobile, but never had gone skiing. My little brother Mitch married into a MAJOR skiing family. He learned quickly, and that is all we hear about from him during the winter months! I have always given him a hard time for never taking me. After much deliberation, because of how crappy my knees are, he and his wife EvaLynn gave in.

EvaLynn's grandpa is Junior Bounous.  He is an amazing skiing legend. 
We were lucky enough to have him work with R. What a GREAT experience for her!


Getting use to being on skis

Riding the "magic carpet" up to the top of the pre-bunny hill!



Heading to the chairlift!


Then we graduated to the bunny hill. We were at Snowbird Ski Resort and their bunny hill is called Chickadee. I just love the name! You can't tell, but that is me and my brother up on the hill.
R cruisin' down Chickadee with Junior. Junior is in the yellow helmet that comes from the right,
 under the chairlift headed to the left of the screen!

Me! Yes,  I realize that I am going pretty slow(you can see me pushing myself with my poles a few times), but I was working on my turns!  And yes, I also realize that R was going ten times faster than me!
We were only able to go for a few hours, but R had enough! What a cutie!

Personal lessons I learned:
*I enjoy skiing. I REALLY want to go again. I might appreciate snow more!
*Skiing itself doesn't hurt my knees, but walking around in ski boots before and after KILLS!!!!! So for future times I will just wear my snow boots, or gym shoes to the point of clipping into the skis. 
Then switch into the boots and skis at the same time. 
*I need to trust myself more. I was SO cautious that I went pretty slow, and never fell over!
*You are never too old to try something new!

1 comment:

Donna Moore said...

Good on you both and to be taught by one of the best is pretty cool !! Of course you are never to old to learn or try something new. I try to give everything a go once. Flew to the other side of the world on my own !!! That's pretty cool to me !!!